Forums

Register

What is your playstyle?

Come in, introduce yourself and contribute to the fun!
Penanito

Intern

What is your playstyle?

Post#1 » 13 Dec, '13 5:53 PM

Thought I'd make a topic that anyone can contribute to:
What is your favourite playstyle in an MMORPG? what generic character build do you often pick, what do you like to do in the game itself?

For me i can say that ive tried all of the types of playstyles and i can say that support fits me well. Starting MMORPG's i was always the healer, cleric, priest, druid, etc. And i also love tanking and taking the damage for others. I guess not too much about killing, but rather making sure the team survives.

My favourite playstyle is usually raiding, though sometimes i like to explore beacuse i either have no team to make interactive raids with, or the raiding system is overall stale (especially for my playstyle since for lots of games healers and tanks only stand there clicking buttons). Though, when it comes to a game that has a perfect raid system i'd say that its a really fun aspect, especially with a team that makes it fun.
- The cookie monster

Caldenfor

Re: What is your playstyle?

Post#2 » 17 Dec, '13 10:35 PM

I will have to lead with a Thief. I mean a little bugger that steals, not just a name. Primary experience from Ultima Online. They are very underrepresented so I wanted to emphasize how cool they are.

Second, I would have to go with a "ranger", more of a scout than a fighter, but certainly capable of using a bow to put some hurt out. Primary experience from older Dark Age of Camelot when "bow rangers" were "gimp". Just a shame that all modern MMOs are having bows be auto-fired. Terrible mechanic that makes it so boring.

Caldenfor

tristone

QA Guru

Post#3 » 24 Dec, '13 12:23 AM

Raiding/exploring/crafting are for me. give me a crafting system worth its salt and you will see a an obsessive master crafter who hands out top teir items like candy when resources allow it! I primarily like to play bards and if they are actualy casters (NOT HEALERS) druids. However I am usualy a raid leader so I always had a stable of characters available to fill gaps most notably tanking.

Caldenfor

Post#4 » 27 Dec, '13 11:25 PM

Quality crafting and bards that aren't healers? Ultima Online how I miss thee!

Nevinyraal

Post#5 » 27 Aug, '14 8:32 PM

I love playing a merchant, especially a Blacksmith. Although not many games that I've played offered a strict merchant crafting class, like my days in Ultima Online did. You've got your various classes who can have a few professions to carry out, but none strict as a pure merchant.

Other than this, I would say a Rogue or Ranger. I love walking through the shadows, using daggers and having the use of poison. Although I love the RP opportunities of a Ranger and sometimes distance play style is more fun.

I often end up rolling a tank or healer though. Since they seem to always lack. Or I'll be playing with one or both of my brothers so we often try to match a team of characters based on that. I would love to see a Cleric wearing chainmail armor, holding a mace and shield in hand though. Tired of all the cloth healing in games of today. =P

Kazee

Post#6 » 05 Sep, '14 4:58 PM

Paladin tank or healer. I would like to see a paladin or cleric role get outside the box a little, maybe focusing more on their religion and less on nebulous concepts. When something divine happens in real life, people are awestruck. But in video games (outside of Final Fantasy which shows wonder in the divine) the acts of faith and gifts of gods and holy energies are very marginal ex machina to loosely facilitate structured gameplay mechanics.

Random blessings from the cleric or paladin's diety or spiritual energy manifested by triggers such as party health or a party member disabled, or other party conditions rather than keybinds would be a good place to start.

Imagine an ability that has a low chance of occurring, triggered by the paladin or cleric being the last party member standing. Now say that during a fight with the boss mob of a dungeon this ability puts the paladin in a mode where hitting the mob x number of times (or some other 'minigame') rezzes a party member. That would be an epic battle, something memorable.

Odayin

Lead Developer

Post#7 » 06 Sep, '14 9:13 AM

My play style usually varied depending on my mood as well as what we had planned. It is hard for me to say i have any one favorite playstyle. My favorite games though (usually) were ones that had a few different game play aspects in them. These are real events that have taken place across several different games. Quite often, these would all occur in the same games.

"What is over that mountain? Let us go and see!" and I go running off before my partner even has a chance to respond.
So I could be considered an explorer. Exploring a world full of beauty, different aspects of different in game cultures, styles, and yes even creatures can be fun. I often had a habit of finding exciting things with my husband in game and, well, sometimes getting myself into trouble.

"Oh wow, I know where to find tons of these, and they are selling like hotcakes!", and I leave to set up a new shop.
I also enjoyed being a "merchant" in game, even if the game did not have that specifically in its design. There are always items that will be "hot" and sell very well within the community. So I often would quest, farm or harvest them to sell to the community, generally undercutting those selling them for an exuberant amount. Yes, I know this means that someone else was buying off me and selling for a bit more, but hey! This is a free market, right?

"Raid Time! Last time it took us 6 hours, but we found an easier way. Simbert please remember to repair your shield before we enter!" And we enter that dark dungeon with the mean dragon inside.
Maybe I am a raider also? I also love raiding. Though unlike some, our little group was usually more about having fun and learning from our past experiences. Of course, stupid mistakes were never fun. I cannot remember how many times we have had someone that just insisted on running off on their own and not waiting for the raid leader to give the go ahead. Good thing I never did that in game. ;)

"Our guild stores are low. I am working on the side but I can go and farm these for us." Off I got to my favorite under water farming spot.
I guess I could be considered a farmer/collector. Farming (items, not planting) was never really chore for me. In fact it was great to do if I had a long work day, or I had work at home to do. Good thing for multiple monitors eh? If i was in the mood, I always had a lot of fun just relaxing and casually killing those beasties in hopes I could build up our guild stores again. Something about the repetitiveness and the rewards seemed to balance themselves out.

"That tower was ours in the beginning, it shall remain ours to the end! Everyone in position, here they cooooooome..." And we prepare for the enemy to attack us.
I could be considered a PvP'er. PvP is always fun if it is challenging yet fair enough to allow us a chance to beat those "unbeatable" odds. Quite often we would charge at a tower that we may have been scouting and found vulnerable. Of course we have found ourselves defending our towers or keeps against odds that most thought we would not fair well. Or my favorite was running battle group raids in the morning to defend our land and keeps. The outcome was always different but also always fun. And luckily I would say more successful than not. Despite the disbelief of other onlookers. I also long for those "Mmmmmm-Monster Kill!"s.

"Oh, I can make that. Give me a few to get the supplies.. Here you go!" and I had a new shiny armour piece to a guildie.
I guess I am a crafter then? Crafting was always fun and I loved to get as much finished as I could. Though in a few games it could be boring and I could fall asleep while waiting to hear that ding. Only to realize at the laughter of others I was my own crafting bot. I would hear that "DING" and twitch my finger to click the mouse once more for one more skill point. No need for illegal bots here in that game. Of course, in another, I was often found catching myself or others around me on fire. All in all, if I could make it, I often would try my earnest to achieve that goal. All those pretty shinies, and helping out others (and making a profit) was always nice.

"Good day to you dear sir. I see you are waiting on something to happen? Perhaps I may be of service and offer my sword", I state as I /bow to the player in front of me.
Roll play has to be it? I love roll playing, though I have never been a hardcore roll player. Real life is always happening to everyone and all around us. and sometimes it is just nice to say hello to an online friend, or to a family member that has moved out of state but you meet up in game. Each of my characters has their own personality and back story I had written for them. So it was always fun to see that story grow with other players around me.

In closing- Yes, I am finally done prattling on.
I am sure I am missing a few other things here. But this gives you an idea of myself and what my play style is. Whether it is in the same game or in different games, I do not have just one primary play style, not even two or three. It depends on the game and my mood. I have played (and still do when I have a short break every other month) everything from Kingdom for Keflins, to EverQuest, to DAoC, to Alice, to AvP, to Guild Wars, to Rift, to UT, to Gears of War, to Vangurad.. and so many more.

Warded

Post#8 » 03 Nov, '14 10:18 AM

There is definitely not an easy answer to this. I think my preferred play-style is ever evolving. I remember the first time logging into Ultima Online and getting rocked by a Bear and a Headless One, needless to say I was hooked from that moment. My long UO career was spent doing everything that the game had to offer (I even played and helped create some player run servers). Whether I was working as a Melee Fighter, a Mage, a Tamer, a Thief, a Harvester, a Smith or even a Bard I enjoyed them all. Even socially I played multiple roles, I was a dominate PvP force, a Hero, a Thief and even a mix of all. This game at the time spoiled and ruined me forever. Every game since I look at and compare it to UO and nothing to me is as solid as that game. So I pick and choose a play-style based on what the game provides me till the next game comes along while I hope for a solid game like UO.

I think that was more a bit of a back story in my play-styles... So I will list some things I absolutely look for play-style wise when I look for a new game;

Crafting - To me Crafting has to matter. It should be a driving force behind the economy and the best of the best should require a Crafter to make. This skill shouldn't be easy enough for everyone and their uncle to master. This is the type of Crafter I would love to play and would choose as a play-style. Some examples; UO, Darkfall, my memory is a little fuzzy but I think I remember Vanguard and Horizons? having interesting and fun crafting.

Explorer - I wouldn't look to be an explorer only but if you don't like exploring than an MMO probably isn't for you. An MMO brings a large unfamiliar world that artists and designers worked hard on to amaze players. When I walk into a new MMO I want it to pull the explorer out of me. Not my typical play-style but if the game is built well enough I will find myself searching around and trying to find new cool places. Some awesome examples to me is; Guild Wars 2 - A vast amount of different landscapes coupled with multiple jump puzzles just makes you want to explore the entire map. Darkfall - The game was the biggest MMO indie hype machine I had ever laid my eyes on, overall the game was poorly built but the landscapes, the size and the hand drawn and painted world was amazing.

PvP - I love Player vs Player. There has been a lot of bad and very few good games when it comes to PvP but nowadays everyone will incorporate some sort of PvP. I prefer open world full loot PvP. Now that doesn't mean I am opposed to safe havens (and I guess it doesn't have to be full loot) but the adrenaline rush while being out and about harvesting and knowing you can be attacked at any time is amazing to me. Then if you actually get attacked, the blood pumping, sound dampening adrenaline rush is what I play for. To me this is the play-style I look for in every game I try and few have been successful; to name a few of my favorites UO, Shadowbane and Darkfall.

Return to “Off Topic”