Forums

Register

In Game Mail Boxes

Discussion of anything Dark Relic related.
Odayin

Lead Developer

In Game Mail Boxes

Post#1 » 20 Mar, '14 4:35 PM

I am hearing the point of working on some more smaller assets. And one thing I have been trying to decide is how to do the mail boxes for in game. I have a few options, though I thought I would get everyone else's thoughts on this as well.

In game mail do and from other players, as well as any special in game announcements will be accessible trough a few means, however, as the most common and traditional, the use of a mailbox is one thing we do and will be adding in.

1) a single style mailbox that is the same around the world of Neithus.
2) Unique boxes based on continental style.

Which of these do you think you would enjoy and be easier for you as a player? Or do you have any other ideas or suggestions? Share what you think!

tristone

QA Guru

Re: In Game Mail Boxes

Post#2 » 21 Mar, '14 1:50 AM

I approve of both :)

Penanito

Intern

Post#3 » 22 Mar, '14 9:57 AM

I like the idea of continental boxes if not too troublesome.
- The cookie monster

Odayin

Lead Developer

Post#4 » 22 Mar, '14 12:13 PM

Neither style is troublesome. :)

What about others? What do you think and what would you like to see?

Penanito

Intern

Post#5 » 23 Mar, '14 12:17 AM

Maybe of just having the regular mailboxes you could improvise and let the player have their own messenger pets. These pets wouldnt actually be controlled by the player, they'd just be to make the messaging system a little bit more player friendly. Also to give the game a more realistic and fun perspective you could have Guild applications/approvals through these pets. Then you could also make a guild messenger pet that could serve as improved communication and gifting services for people in the guild. These could also be used to, for example, declare a guild war on another guild. This is a little bit more complicated than just a wooden mailbox but I think it would be interesting, would also give the game a more fantasy look or such :P (I just came up with this in a couple mins so maybe something similar would just be as good hehe)
- The cookie monster

Rofar

Lead Developer

Post#6 » 23 Mar, '14 11:55 AM

I like the idea of single style mailboxes. That way, wherever you are in the world, you can easily find a mailbox because you know exactly what you are looking for.

Odayin

Lead Developer

Post#7 » 23 Mar, '14 8:05 PM

I am leaning towards that as well, just to keep things simple. However, we shall have to see what i can do in terms of merging styles so they all fit in each of the continents. Of course, may be a few other options we can do as well. If the basic shape, size or style is similar, I could possibly do a few versions of each to have them fit into the continental styles.

Have to see though. What does everyone else think?

Demarii

Intern

Post#8 » 12 Jun, '14 4:31 AM

What you could do is have a unique "part" of the mailbox be easily identifiable... like how mailboxes all have the little flag that gets turned up when mail is arrived, if you have a common feature like that, then you could still have the mailboxes be more varied based on continent and thus visually fitting more with each setting while still allowing for it to be easily recognized that it is a mailbox because of the "flag" for lack of a better term.

Odayin

Lead Developer

Post#9 » 12 Jun, '14 8:41 AM

That is a very good idea Demarii. I like that, I will have to play around with this when I get to them.
More ideas anyone?

Kazee

Post#10 » 12 Jun, '14 4:53 PM

Mailbox style by continent for immersion, of single mailbox style for ease of accessibility...

This is more of an immersion RPG, I think!

Penanito

Intern

Post#11 » 12 Jun, '14 8:26 PM

yes should be recognizable....I just personally think the typical MMORPG mailbox, or well the stereotypical mailbox in general:

index.jpg
index.jpg (3.1 KiB) Viewed 31737 times

Instantly takes away a fantasy feel out of the mailing system. So what Demarii mentioned, or something along those lines, to make it unique yet recognizable as a mailbox should work out fine.
- The cookie monster

Return to “General Gameplay”