Forums

Register

One Last Sneak Peek!

Official TGS News and Announcements
Odayin

Lead Developer

One Last Sneak Peek!

Post#1 » 09 Jan, '15 10:21 PM

Here is one more sneak peek before our big announcement. Any guesses yet?

abyomon1-0.PNG

morb

Lead GM

Re: One Last Sneak Peek!

Post#2 » 12 Jan, '15 6:50 PM

That looks awsome!!!
Murphy was an Optimist

Velana

Post#3 » 21 Jun, '15 8:17 PM

Oooh, oooh, I know this one! You've given the fuck up, right? =D Look, I apologize if I've come off as hostile, but I've been looking for a good MMORPG forever.
If you want something in your life you've never had, you'll have to do something you've never done.

Odayin

Lead Developer

Post#4 » 22 Jun, '15 3:11 PM

I can safely say, we have not. We have just been really busy right now. Just for you, I have taken a small shot of a work in progress on a special little island in the game.

What kind of things are you looking for in an MMORPG? Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and dreams of what they want in a game. Share your thoughts with us.

Velana

Post#5 » 23 Jun, '15 10:28 PM

I appreciate the screenshot. I honestly didn't expect to get a developer response, but since you seem to be interested in what I consider to be a good game, I'd love to share my opinions. Although, let me digress for a moment. First off, I'm impressed you've taken the time to respond to a potential player. Dev chatter is always a good thing and I want to be kept up to date. Secondly, I love the music. Harmony of the ages is amazing. Anyways, as to the question of what I would most like in a game;

1.) A world that feels 'alive'.

2.) I know this is subjective, but a good engaging story.

3.) Challenge and character progression.

4.) Dungeons and raiding. Maybe going through a zone to learn of the big bad in that particular zone, culminating in some sort of instance quest to slay it.

If I've come off as unclear, I apologize and offer to clarify anything I can. Anyways, I want this to be the game I've been looking for. If I can be reasonably assured this is it, I have no problem tossing my money at the situation to aid with development costs.
If you want something in your life you've never had, you'll have to do something you've never done.

stianovesen

Developer

Post#6 » 24 Jun, '15 12:23 AM

Hello, Velena!

I'm glad you're taking an interest in the game, it's always fun to see some activity on the site. I am the creative-writer of Dark Relic, and am delighted to see that you share my love for story and the world. Unfortunately, we haven't been too active with sharing progress the last couple of months, there are a couple of reasons for that. First of all, as of this moment we are still a small indie team, which means that we don't, yet, have anyone dedicated to PR and community management. Secondly, the development of this game has been going on for some years now, but recently we did a switch of what game-engine we use. We went from the Hero Engine to Unreal Engine, which means that we're still in the process of catching up to where we were in Hero Engine. Progress is coming rapidly, though, and we are soon reaching the point where we have more to share with you.

We're always happy to see activity on the site, so feel free to hang around on the forums and ask questions. I can't promise that you will get all the answers you seek, but we will be sure to respond to the best of our ability.

Have a nice day!
Stian Ovesen

Nevinyraal

Post#7 » 25 Jun, '15 8:53 AM

Indeed. Looking amazing. Love the sneak peaks. Also I could say that this "small indie team" are amazing and I've had a pleasure chatting it up at times with at least one of them. They certainly do listen and take their community's words into advisement for consideration. They want to bring "us" players the environment the players want while they also have their own agenda and ideas they need to implement as well. I believe there's even a section on these forums somewhere about what people want out of a game or something of that topic. If not, then let's create one! Though I'm pretty sure I've commented on it before. lol

I see your interests are similar to my own as well. I too love the music in the game as well as the environment around it that goes with it. Provided it's theme based. I've always thought about merchants being players more than NPC's, though there would be NPC's there to help when required. That's how I'd feel a game could be more "alive". Or when you interact with NPC's in a one on one story progression (with multiple choices of answers that builds your characters relationship / reputation), or simply just more movement between NPC merchants, guards and the like. So to touch that bit up I love both music and story.

Dungeons I really love. Though nobody has ever touched the idea that Ultima Online had. At least with any game releases that I have played myself. That is open world dungeons. You go there to grind, farm materials or seek treasures deep within for the fun of it. Spawn timers are decent enough so players can all share the kills or there could be separate loot generated per player, if resources allowed that. I've just always appreciated more open worlds for more interaction between players so you're not setting schedules up for midnight raids for raid progression etc. That way guild mates also won't feel left out. Builds a stronger bond between players. As we all know there's elitists that demand perfection and no room for errors. Where playing a game should be more about having fun and not stressing over a boss wipe.

1. Music
2. Story
3. Interaction between players and NPC's alike
4. Environment
5. Open dungeon grinds

Not in that particular order, but those are things that really interest me. If it holds all of the above, it holds me for years on end paying countless dollars. lol

*-EDIT* I also love dark and musky areas in zones. I loved Duskwood for how dark and cloudy it felt. I also loved Gloomwood, I believe it was called in the game Rift. So if it has at least a couple zones like that, would be awesome as well. =P

stianovesen

Developer

Post#8 » 25 Jun, '15 10:00 AM

Hello, Nevinyraal!

I'm happy to hear that you've had a pleasant experience with us thus far, we are always looking to improve the communications to our future players. The world you describe as alive is definitely someting we strive for with Dark Relic. We feel that a lot of modern MMORPG's put a lot of effort on combat being the primary source of progression, while crafting and trading becomes secondaries. We definitely want to make this a game that everyone can enjoy, and because of this, we weight the other aspects on par with combat. We also believe that player housing will be important in making the world come to life.

We have not yet begun to programm the AI for NPC's, but we want to make it so that they give the impression of being sentient beings, living their own lives. The way we intend to accomplish this is through clever use of AI, an extensive dialogue-system and a lot of backstory. We definitely want the NPC's to feel as a natural part of their habitat, culturally and thematically. As for the environments of the game, I believe there are already some posts on the forum which discusses this, if you want to read more on it.

We would really appreciate to know what type of content you would want us to produce for you, going forward. What type of sneak peaks would you like to see? What should we write about in our next devblog? Is there any special type of content that you would like to see, like videoes and so on. We always appreciate the input.

Have a nice day!
Stian Ovesen

Return to “Announcements”